Monday, July 7, 2008

Unify'd Field Theory

Work progresses on our little tennis project, and this has refreshed my interest in Unity, which I remain convinced has tremendous potential as a machinima tool. But its been over 6 months since I worked with it regularly, so I'm rusty. To make matters worse, the tutorial I was planning on starting on, the FPS tutorial, no longer exists on their website! There is a new, much larger, 3D platform game tutorial, however.

I have been warming up by reading the documentation. I have to admit though, it does make me feel old. I learned to code at a time when object-oriented programming was a theoretical construct in research labs in California, when there were no GUI's, when you POKE'd machine code directly into physical memory addresses, when programs where stored on cassette tape. Anybody else remember those? So the elegant object-oriented architecture of Unity is a bit daunting to an old salt like me. Where are all the BNE's, JSR's and Gosubs?

No comments: