Sunday, July 26, 2009

Old Tricks for New Dogs

Oh the things we learn we never dreamed we would ever need to know. After far too long, I've finally gotten around to working on Rosentendo & Guildenwii (working title), a machinima piece based on a tennis theme.

Actually I have been working on it for a while. I've bought 2 different tennis games over Steam, and figured out how to play them (as previously mentioned not something I would do otherwise).

Today, however, I knuckled down to figure out what shots I needed and set to work with FRAPS. Before long I had enough clips to get started. I fired up Adobe Premiere Pro, imported the files, and thought I was cooking. That was until I discovered that the audio on 3 of the 7 files disappeared after 33 frames. Drag.

Well, obviously, google to the rescue. Seriously, google is starting to scare me, the way it knows all that is known. But i digress. The point is that one quickly learns that A, fraps doesn't have its own forum, and B, the fraps codec isn't premiere friendly.

clearly, a conversion is in order, and as Im on a budget, a free tool was a priority. VirtualDub is well know to the machinima community to so that was my first choice, and it did work. But the file sizes weren't so good and I didn't trust the ancient codecs that appeared on its default list of choices.

back to google, and presto! HuffYuv pops up double-quick. Download, install, and I'm good to go seconds later, right? SORRY!

Didn't work. But I've been learning. Could VISTA be the culprit? Google says, 'Youbetcha!'. But Google also says, 'wise man reads forum post, learns complicated method for installing codec!' And sure enough, after carefully following instructions, Premiere Pro is playing my clips, with Audio. But who knew I'd be learning how to authorize Administrator level installs by typing 'cmd' in the run-box and pressing Ctrl-Shift-Enter? Or even that I'm teaching myself Premiere, even though I already use Avid and Final Cut Pro on a regular basis? Complete the trifecta, I guess.

Stay tuned, y'all for upcoming video.

3 comments:

簡單 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
klipper said...

Thanks for all the comments folks, but I can't read the non-english ones.