Monday, December 17, 2007

Why Unity?

Why did I decide to focus on Unity?
Well, first of all, it runs on a mac. That was a big deal, because mac is my primary platform. I need to use Final Cut Pro in my work, and so I need a powerful mac. Budget and space constraints prevent me from investing in a powerful windoze machine.
Secondly, it looks good.
Thirdly, the GUI and development environment are very nicely integrated with lots of drag and drop support.
Fourthly, I can publish as many copies of the game as I need to give to my puppeteers and camera crew free of charge.

Also, I haven't yet studied this, but the literature suggests that Unity has good support for outside 3d apps, so I hope to be able to use low cost or free 3d (read Silo, Milkshape, Blender) when I absolutely need it, or more likely turn to 3d artists knowing that I don't have to worry too much about what 3d app they're using.

Finally, my biggest hope is that the scriptability will allow me to add some puppeteering functions not available in standard games that will help me make characters more interesting.

Wouldn't you know it, but just today I learned about something called dim3 or dimension3d from Klink! Software. A free 3d game development system. I'll be checking that out, too.

No comments: