Saturday, November 22, 2008

Lights in the distance: oncoming train or approaching daylight?

Many people have discovered the joys of Google's SketchUp. I've been teaching myself how to use it, and I'm constantly surprised at the how easy it is to use. Particularly in comparison to Blender and Wings3D, the 3D apps I've also been working with. More on the choice of app later.

It really is a piece of cake to whip up some 3D geometry in SketchUp. For its intended purpose - a tool for 3d artists to quickly sketch out ideas without having to deal with drudgerous process of traditional modelling - it is a phenomenal success. It ought to win an award for its human-interface design. The golden cherry on top is that there's a FREE version, which has almost all the features of the pro version. Alas, that pro version lists for $495. Youch!

Not surprisingly, one of the most important features has been left off. That feature, of course, is the ability to export a 3d model that's useable in other 3d app's. Equally unsurprising is that the internet provides workarounds. I'd like to share my own workaround. It has its flaws, but it works.

All it entails is downloading the Pro version of Sketchup. The Pro version has a trial feature which is unusual. Instead of limiting the number of days it will work (typically 30), or disabling the ability to save work in progress, or watermarking or whatever, Google limits the trial user to 8 hours of use. You can spread those 8 hours out indefinitely (I'm over 15 months so far), which is nice. Now here's the trick. Google allows you to have the FREE version and the Pro version co-existing on your system.

So to convert your SketchUp models to Wavefront (.obj) or 3DSMax (.3ds), simply create the model in the free version, the open it in the Pro version and export it from there to the format you want. It's taken me about a minute or less to open and export the relatively simple models I've created so far. At that rate, I should be able to create perhaps as many as 480 models! And if I was really trying to conserve time, I suspect I could pack my SketchUp file with lots and lots of models, export them all as a batch, and use Blender or Wings3D to split them apart.

I've had mixed success with textures. I successfully exported a model that was created entirely within the Pro version directly to Unity, complete with textures. However, I tried today with a model created with the free version and I 0nly got the geometry. This maybe because I am using version 6 of the Pro Version and version 7 of the Free one. I'll keep noodling at this problem, and hopefully I'll find a solution.

In the meantime, I'm incredibly stoked. The ability to go from quick and easy modeling in SketchUp to interactive rendering in Unity (which I am now more confident than ever will prove to be a useful machinima engine) is a big step forward for me.

So why Blender and Wings3D? Simple: they're free! Admittedly, Maya offers a personal learning edition, but I still didn't want to deal with it because I don't want to have to deal with the watermarking - I want to be able to create real, usable output. Moreover, I have no ambitions to pursue 3d modeling as a career, so the fact that its' an industry-standard app means nothing to me. Now, if there were a PLE for 3DsMax, I might reconsider, but gMax doesn't really cut it (being PC-only doesn't help its case much, either.) Also, since I'm a complete newbie with 3d apps, I am not put off by the alleged 'idiosyncratic' user interface of blender. In fact, I quite like it - much more than Wings3D, for example.

As an extra bonus, Blender includes a game engine. I doubt that I'll ever make use of it, since I've got Unity (which opens Blender files natively), but hey, you never know!

Meanwhile, as I googled around a bit while writing this, I've learned that AutoDesk, publisher of BOTH 3DsMax AND Maya, has acquired SoftImage! So that puts AutoDesk in control of all of the industry-standard 3d apps. Frankly, that makes me want to use an open-source app just to be contrarian! Also, I couldn't find any mention of a 'personal learning edition', which used to be available for XSI.

So blender and wings3d it is, for me at least.

UPDATE: So it seems that Softimage does provide a free version. Its called the "Mod Tool". You can find it here. Hmmm. Might have to reconsider! Of course, when I tried to actually download it, I got a 404 error. And I couldn't determine if it was a pc only or cross platform program. Anyone out there know the answer?

3 comments:

Ricky Lee Grove said...

Nice write up on the two Google version. I didn't realize that the pro version was set up on a time used basis. Smart thinking there. You set up of build in the free version and export in the pro version is a great idea.

Free version .skp files can be saved and re-used via Antics3d and through the 3DXchange program into iClone 3.

XSI announed a few months ago that they were dis-continuing the Mod tool and restructured their line up and pricing to the pro market exclusively. I haven't checked, but the reason you are getting the 404 error is that it isn't available anymore. However, Google can probably help you out with finding a download or a torrent file for the free version.

Good luck.

klipper said...

Hi Ricky - thanks for reading! I'm flattered.

I was starting to really like Antics3d, but then lost my PC and became exclusively mac. And with the recent news about them, I don't think I'll be returning to that program. I am dying to work with iClone3, but still need a PC! If anybody has one with an 8000 series NVidia card, I'm looking to trade or barter.

Not too worried about XSI's mod tool... just weirded out by the fact that Autodesk now has a near-monopoly on the market!

Ricky Lee Grove said...

Good luck on buying a new PC. I had one, but took it apart and sent the parts to Daniel in Poland, the guy who did "The Demise". Why don't you consider building a system? Parts are very cheap for a low or mid-level system. Try sharkeyextreme.com for monthly list on low, mid and high system builds. A quad core Q6600 is like $124 now. Amazing CPU.

I know what you mean about Autodesk having a monopoly. I thought the same thing when read the news. Where is the government on this? Sheesh...

Too bad about Antics. Wish them luck.